Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dance, dance....

So I'm taking a swing dancing class, as I may have mentioned before. There are actually a lot of similarities between dancing and dating, many of which mirror some of the good and bad dates I've been on.

1. You gotta have a good partner. Swing is all about leads and follows and if the lead isn't strong, you end up on the floor, colliding with another couple, or with the dreaded elbow to the eyeball. Dating is the same- does anyone else notice that they end up with an elbow to the eyeball when the communication breaks down? Maybe that's just my luck...

2. Chemistry- either its there or its not. Some of my best dance partners thus far have had some sort of unspoken chemistry with me (not necessarily romantic, mind you). I can anticipate what move we were going into next and we cut a rug like you would not believe. Then there were the guys who weren't sure what to do next and their timidity pretty much left us doing basic steps and none of the fun turns, which ends up being boring. Mirroring Bachelor #1 much? Heh...

3. Variety of partners- swing dance is a social dance. I mean, you can bring a partner with but typically others will ask you to dance as well. Kinda like dating- sometimes you have to dance with the gross sweaty guy a few times before the guy you're eying from across the room asks to cut in. But then, you're shocked to find out that the sweaty guy was a much better lead than the cute guy who cut in. Sometimes your toes get stepped on, sometimes you don't know what you're doing next, sometimes a guy sweeps you off your feet (literally). You gotta keep at it until you find the right partner and then it all just comes together.


I'm gonna keep dancing (and dating) until I find that right partner again. I do have to say though, bachelor #2 is showing a bit of promise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment